Sunday, July 8, 2012

No Baci Rolls

Timmie's biggest complaint about today was that she was really craving a Baci roll from the cafeteria, and they were fresh out. Considering the complications we have had the past few weeks, it is pretty amazing that she considered that to be her biggest setback today. Dr. Carroll, super-surgeon, made it back from her rock- climbing excursion, the one that caused Timmie about once every 4-6 hours to mumble from her bed, "That's just crazy." I am pretty sure Timmie has never prayed so hard for the safe return of another human being. Her face lit up as usual when she saw the woman who not only cares for her wounds but builds up her soul. If there has ever been a person to go above and beyond, it is her. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim ends up wanting to become an orthopedic surgeon, and Dr. Carroll would be thrilled if that's how things worked out. I am pretty sure she loves Timmie as much as Timmie loves her. Her 7th surgery was great. They were able to close up the ankle and the thigh wounds and Timmie's pain has been manageable all day. In addition to a great surgery -and we are qualified to make that distinction because we are becoming surgery connoisseurs- she was able to complete her first day of ATG therapy, the one she started but reacted to yesterday. With some added precautions and a slower infusion rate, there were no complications at all. She was able to spend some much needed time with six-year-old brother Julian, even if it was just pretending she was interested in his Texas vs. Baylor gridiron battle on the x-box. He is starting to feel a little more comfortable in the foreign hospital setting, which means a lot to her. At first he didn't want to talk to her much by phone or even in person, and that was tough for her because she is such a phenomenal big sister and she adores everything about him, especially his sometime inappropriate and defiant as well as always independent behavior. He is her antithesis in that way, and secretly I think she sort of admires it. We are so grateful for the rest she has had today from pain and affliction...that may sound strange considering she did have her 7th surgery today. But progress is progress. We also had a special home cooked meal delivered by Keith Hamilton and his wife Ludy and their three boys. Keith is another one of Timmie's heroes. If you don't know who he is, you should google him and read his book. It is amazing! Timmie admired him long before she met him. All in all it has been a great day. It is interesting that now as I say that and I am filled with relief for my sweet Timmie, I can't help but think of the other children here in this hospital or anywhere in the world tonight who may be suffering, who may have had a day that felt discouraging or defeating. My heart goes out to parents who may be praying for just a moment of relief from their seemingly impossible challenges. Thank you all so much for your prayers. I have felt my burdens lifted even in the moments of despair. I know that my Redeemer lives. I feel His love. I feel your love as well.

9 comments:

  1. :) So good to hear. Thanks so much for sharing and keeping everyone up on Timmie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great! And if it would make Timmie happy, I would be glad to deliver some bocci rolls right to her bedside. What a simple request!


    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so lovely to read some encouraging news. It's fantastic that she was able to feel some relief and rest. You are a remarkable bunch and I love your strength in faith. My thoughts and prayers really have been centered on timmie and your entire family, today. Stay just how you are... Positive, ever-faithful, and loving. You are amazing!

      Delete
    2. I don't know if you are aware that we are great friends with Brit Wheatley, and we got to spend a bit of time with them tonight as Hatcher had a good day. It was great to hear how Timmie's spirit lifted them during such a difficult time. What an amazing girl you have with such strength and determination! It is crazy how paths cross, especially when needed the most! Sending prayers your way!

      Delete
  3. Amy, I just finished reading all of your posts and I am overcome with emotion. You say that writing is therapeutic, but I don't even know where to start! Thank you for sharing this experience with us. It feels deeply personal... and I'm sure you don't need one more thing on your plate... but there are so many who care about Timmie, and you, and your family. You are all in our prayers and on our minds daily. Thank you for sharing with us. I have felt the Spirit so strongly while reading your posts. I know the Lord's hand is in this. I can only imagine what He has in store for Timmie. She is already a truly amazing young woman. The Refiner's fire is about to make her even more spectacular. I believe that sometimes the strongest spirits are gifted with the heaviest trials. This is how Heavenly Father lovingly shapes them and lets their full potential shine forth. Timmie is a natural leader. I have been watching her grow for the last 10 years (Ben says I have a "Timmie crush") with no small degree of anticipation. Why? Because I've felt impressed numerous times that this girl is going somewhere. She is a key player, not just in sports, but in life. My guess is that she is meant to be on the front lines, in God's army, leading the fight for everything true and right. Does that sound familiar? I know that is how she has already been living her life... but now, she's in training for a promotion. She's on a fast-track to the top. I'm telling you, there are big plans for Timmie... but you already know that. :) Mothering such a child is no small feat. You are spectacular yourself, Amy. Please remember how much love and support you have surrounding you, and lean on us as much and as often as you need to. Don't hesitate to ask for help, please. It will allow those of us who have to helplessly watch from the side lines to show our love for your family. We love you!

    Julie Sidwell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I just caught up with your blog. My heart and prayers continue to be with Timmie,you, and your family. Please let me know if there is anything I can do on the school-front (or anywhere else) to ease your burdens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I don't know if you remember our family, but my son Chris Hardinger was in your class at Highland. I am a friend of your aunt, Julie Browning, and she ordered some food from me for Tyler's wedding and she shared with me all the going ons in her family. As I have read your blog I have also been overcome with emotion. I can't imagine going through this with a child. But I know that whatever is handed to us must be tackled exactly as you are doing! With faith, and a positive attitude! Recently I saw a quote in a store, that really is a song (I think) "Every little thing will be alright." Thanks for your willingness to share your experiences with us. I feel your strength and testimony as I read them.
    Julie Hardinger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much. Wish I had more time to respond to your thoughtful comments. It just seems that there is always something important going on with doctors and nurses or that Tim needs help with something. I do read your comments though...and they are so encouraging and supportive. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, girl! Wow...what a way to spend summer vacation! If you didn't know already, I've always admired your strength, compassion and tenacity with every single thing you do! Alleana and I have prayed for Timmie, you and your family. I feel guilty about the little things that have seemed to bring me down the past couple of years....they seem a bit insignificant in comparison. It is sad that a situation like yours has put my life, and probably many others lives as well, into perspective. It's obvious you're strong (despite all the tears I've seen you shed, LOL!)....we've known each other a long time and I know you have had many adversities that you've overcome. God is good! With continued prayer from all of us who love you guys, I know Timmie will get through this! She is a tough, amazing girl with a true zest for life! Hang in there, mom!

    'Kette

    ReplyDelete